Welcome back, my friends to the most intense nightly read anywhere on the sphere… The BitsBlog Nightly Ramble
- 55% WANT HEALTHCARE REPEALED: I’ve already suggested earlier that an outright repeal of the healthcare monster isn’t likely and enumerated the reasons for that. I note today, Rick Moran has been talking about that also, and he takes a bit of a different angle  I find interesting. But most, according to Rasmissen, want the thing killed off. 
- ROVE: REPEAL AND REFORM WILL BE A WINNING ISSUE COME FALL: Maybe so, Karl.. . but it’ll end up being the losing issue in 2012 if the GOP doesn’t break with it’s own history and actually work against an entitlement, and I suspect they will not.
- STEYN AND COULTER: The video that David posted this morning had Ann invoking the name of Mark Steyn, and recalling the hate crimes perpetrated against him in Canada, all in th e name of “justice” of course. I knew it wasn’t going to be long before he waded into this particular cesspool, with his usual “take no prisoners” attitude. God bless him, he’s spot on,here :
“Alliances between the state’s ideological commissars and street mobs are a familiar feature of certain kinds of societies, and I suppose Canada will soon get used to its membership of this unlovely club. . . . What a wretched embarrassment to a once free society.”
Steyn is correct, of course, it is an embarrassment. It is also how far away from freedom we have come in the west.
- TIME OUT FOR THIS MESSAGE FROM TOM JEFFERSON:
God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. …
And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to the facts, pardon and pacify them.
What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from
time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.” – Thms Jefferson
I happened across this quote while looking up something else. It amazes me as I compare this quote to the whining going on about “violent acts” and death threats as I mentioned earlier today , against the Democrats, that those same Democrats still to this day hold Jefferson to be iconic for their party. Particularly given how it’s so obvious, given their whining, that they don’t understand him at all.
And it isn’t like this is new,  or anything. Let the leftist waffling begin.
- WHY ASSUME IT’S TEA PARTY TYPES? A thought occurs; why is it we assume it’s tea party types that made these supposed death threats to Democrat members of the Congress? Consider that Stupak must have annoyed at least a few pro-life Democrats with his bait and switch. No, it’s the Tea Parties, eh? Forgive me but I smell a fish, here.
- WHY WON’T THE LEFT ACKNOWLEDGE THE DEATH SPIRAL OF THE IRANIAN REGIME? Interesting read from Michael Ledeen  He says:
The Left lost its revolutionary vocation when it became the blind supporter of Communism. The Leftists were unwilling to acknowledge that others had taken up the revolutionary cause. To admit that was to confess that they were no longer a vanguard movement, that they no longer fought for the freedoms that had defined them for two hundred years, and that they in practice had become defenders of the status quo. Unable to admit the truth, they set about distorting the language lest the truth become obvious.
I put that quote of Mike here, for a couple of reasons. First because it makes an interesting parallel to my comments on the Jefferson quote. It’s clear that the left has lost its linkage with Jefferson but it’s not altogether clear why, until such time as we examine their attitudes about revolution in other parts of the world. In this case, I’m not convinced that Mike is spot on here. Say rather that the left lost its revolutionary vocation when it became “the Man” that they were protesting for so long. Witness how many of the far left members of the SDS, The Weathermen, and so on, now infest the White House and both houses of Congress. The reason they lost their revolutionary zeal their fight for freedom is because they are now the government.they are now the power. Fighting for freedom thereby runs counter to their staying in power.