Welcome to the most intense nightly read anywhere on the sphere…The BitsBlog Nightly Ramble
- THE FIRST THING NEEDED IS AN ENEMY: … a scapegoat. The left has long held Limbaugh in that position. Mark Steyn this morning comments: 
For some reason, Rush Limbaugh’s mooted purchase of a sports franchise has prompted CNN and others to distribute far and wide what appear to be entirely fabricated racist quotes  by Rush. As Tim Blair points out:
Bizarrely, nobody running these career-killing “quotes” seems to question why they weren’t of previous interest.
Just so. What’s the theory here? He said these things on the air in 2006 and nobody noticed? 2001? Maybe 1995, back when Clinton was blaming him for Oklahoma City? Hey, let’s not get hung up on details. Just because nobody can find any evidence anywhere of Rush saying these “quotes” doesn’t mean he didn’t say ’em.
But meanwhile, look what gets a pass, courtesy of Ed Morrissey:. 
Here’s the part of the transcript you need:
CHRIS MATTHEWS: You guys see Live and Let Die, the great Bond film with Yaphet Kotto as the bad guy, Mr. Big? In the end they jam a big CO2 pellet in his face and he blew up. I have to tell you, Rush Limbaugh is looking more and more like Mr. Big, and at some point somebody’s going to jam a CO2 pellet into his head and he’s going to explode like a giant blimp. That day may come. Not yet. But we’ll be there to watch. I think he’s Mr. Big, I think Yaphet Kotto. Are you watching, Rush?
OK, not racist, but wanting to kill Limbaugh? No shock from Tingles, I suppose. Nor of Charles Johnson, who by now has clearly labeled himself  a complete fool, or a leftist tool, or both. The foolishness I can understand. It’s his outright willingness in being a tool for the left that blows my mind.Reverse the roles, however, and see if the scenario plays out the same in your head. If it doesn’t, there’s something extraordinarily amiss here.
- SPEAKING OF REVERSING ROLES: Can you imagine this report  coming out during the Bush administration, and the reax to it from the usual suspects? You know, the ones maintaining their silence on this thing now. … No? Well, I can’t either.
- AND LET”S NOT FORGET THE WAR ON BECK: That continues apace. 
- YET ANOTHER FRONT IN THE WHITE HOUSE WAR ON AMERICA… Michelle Malkin, today: 
First, the White House goes to war with Fox News.
Now, if Democrat Rep. James Clyburn is to be believed, it looks like the First Lady is spoiling for a tiff with the state of South Carolina.
Is there anyone Team Obama isn’t willing to alienate these days?
Via the SC Post and Courier: 
U.S. House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn said Friday that a conversation with White House staff left him with the sense that a hostile environment in South Carolina is keeping the first lady from visiting.
The high-ranking South Carolina Democrat said he has received more than 100 invitations for Michelle Obama. But this summer when he brought one of those requests to her staff on behalf of his alma mater, South Carolina State University, Clyburn said her security was an issue.
The conversation came after former Richland County GOP activist Rusty DePass suggested on Facebook in June that an escaped zoo gorilla was not harmful because it was probably one of Mrs. Obama’s ancestors. DePass’ comment was coupled with a remark in July from U.S. Sen. Jim DeMint, a Republican. DeMint said that beating the president’s health care plan would be a ‘Waterloo’ moment for Obama.
Congressman Joe Wilson’s ‘You lie!’ outburst during Obama’s joint address on health care reform last month didn’t help either, Clyburn said.
‘A lot of it has to do with the fact that the climate in South Carolina just is not good, and that’s a shame,’ Clyburn said at a roundtable discussion at his Columbia office.
‘I do believe it is keeping her away from this state,’ he said.
Well, the answer to Michelle’s question, as I pointed out the other day  appears to be ‘No, there is nobody they will not alienate to maintain the illusion of massive support for their doings… none at all’.
- IMUS WINS: Look, the guy’s a bit of an idiot frankly, but it’s interesting to note that Fox Business Channel is now clobbering CNBC with Imus. 
- MILITARY SETTING RECRUITMENT RECORDS: So notes James Joyner . He has some inter5esting comments to add.
- UNIONS NOW AGAINST THE BAUCUS BILL: Mostly because it reduces the level of care… to their members. Gee. Amazing what a little threat of personally charged reality can do, isn’t it? See, here’s the problem. In spite of Obama’s promises to the contrary, this monster is going to raise taxes on working families. Britt Hume at Fox has something to say on why that’s true:
- GIANT RABBIT? Personally, I’d cut down on the Tequiela, Glenn. 
- BUMPERSTICKER OF THE DAY: Seen by Matt Marotta in Downtown SanDiego: