Welcome, one and all to the most intense nightly read anywhere on the ‘sphere… The BitsBlog Nightly Ramble
- WHO WANTS CLOAKLEY IN THE SENATE? The Washington Examiner‘s Tim Carney says it’s K street . Only about a week to go before the special action, and it appears as though the thing is going to be earth shaking, either way. Even a should brown lose this one, the special action ends up being a net negative for the Democrats. They’ve thrown everything they’ve had  at this, pulling out all the stops  and this is a seat that’s been held by the far left for as long as anybody alive now can remember. Yet, the best they can do is a tie? Explain to me how this isn’t a negative for the left, even assuming she wins. In the end, this special action ends up being a proxy fight on the Democrats and their agenda.  However this falls out, the Democrats lose.
- GROWING INDEPENDENCE: The independent voter has been the holy grail of elections for the last several cycles. It’s also been the biggest pain in the backside for the Democrats. In what has to be extraordinarily bad news for the democrats, and Obama in particular, that segment of the electorate is growing. 
- GROUND SHAKING NEWS: By now, I’m the only one who hasn’t mentioned Haiti and the earthquake there.  It’s odd. This is the first time in over 100 years a quake of ANY size has shown up there. Reports are essentially that if it was standing before the quake, it’s not standing now … including the presidential palace  and the UN HQ . We’re just starting to get our arms around the scope of this thing. A call for prayers at least, for those affected would seem appropriate.
- HARRY’S TOAST: John Fund over at The Wall Street Journal says Harry’s not running for re-election . I tend to agree. After 4 years of Obama and particularly when you add two years with Democrats running Congress, the mood of the electorate  will be so anti-Democrat that they’ll do anything, including voting Republican. Reid’s district is no exception. Further, given the toes Harry’s been mashing, the question of him even getting funding should he decide to run is an open question.
- CONAN THE CONTRARIAN: Look, Conan O’Brien will end up at Fox. Any questions?
- ANOTHER OIL FIND? Chris Helman at Forbes says the Gulf of Mexico contains far more oil than we dreamed. 
- KINSLEY: UNINTENTIONALLY HILARIOUS….Over at Reason, Tim Cavanaugh comes up with what has to be the funniest thing I’ve seen in a week ; Michael Kinsley complaining about boring, long-winded journalism? That’s kinda like Bill Clinton making an argument for chastity, isn’t it?
- MAN DIES IN MIAMI FROM HYPOTHERMIA: I blame global warming.  It’s supposed to get better today and for the next several days down there, I see in the forecasts.
- SIMON AND GARFUNKEL AGAIN? I hear they’re supposed to be performing at the New Orleans Jazz fest. Only one link so far.