Welcome one and all to the most intense nightly read anywhere on the sphere… The BitsBlog Nightly Ramble
- KENNEDY SENATE SEAT TO A REPUBLICAN? MAYBE….Scott Rasmussen and his people are reporting that State Attorney General Martha Coakley is holding a mere nine-point lead over her Republican rival, state Senator Scott Brown, in Massachusetts’ special U.S. Senate election to fill the seat of the late Edward M. Kennedy. With 7% undecided, this is big. Add to that the recent movement trends and this is huge for the Republicans.  Not knowing Brown, however, I wonder how big it is for Conservatives. He’s in the People’s Republic of Massachusetts…. the state that put Kennedy and and Kerry on the map. How conservative can he be? Then again, as Reynolds points out ,support for Brown will speak louder than support for the RNC, who has essentially ignored Brown. Must be an indication he’s too far right for the RNC’s taste. A good a reason to support Brown as I can think of.
- SO MUCH FOR TRANSPARENCY: Remember when ‘transparency’ in government was all the rage?  Now that the Democrats are having trouble ramming their helathcare takeover through, not so much. 
- THE BEST INDICATION OBAMA HAS NO ANSWER FOR TERRORISTS:Victor Davis Hanson muses :
“I don’t think anyone knows quite what this administration’s anti-terrorism policy is.”
Meanwhile, Jen Rubin points out  the rather wide spread of talking points…. a number of which are in disagreement with the other talking points…. saying also:
The Obama spinners who have descended on radio- and cable-news shows seem conflicted. They dare not defend the president’s shabby handling of the incident. The more candid of them concede he is “struggling to find the right tone,” but they plead that he’s really being treated oh so unfairly by all of these second-guessers and partisans who insist on finding out what went wrong. So the Obama supporters retreat to Napolitano-like talking points: no system is perfect, we are doing everything we can, and we have to learn to live with the inevitability of one of these bombers succeeding. (Just not on a flight with them or their loved ones, I suppose.)
In looking at the increasing number of conflicting talking points being issued by the White House these days, it’s become nearly impossible to ignore the idea that the reason these people are so conflicted, is because they haven’t a bloody clue what they’re doing. They know full well that there’s no excuse for the handling of our national security as implemented by the Obama White House. Another indication of their real problem is when they start offering the rationalizations offered by the Bush White House after 9/11…. “No smoking Gun”, for example. And even that comparison ignores their history of the situation; With Bush at least there was little history of a concerted effort on the part of al Quieda to attack us domestically. (Arguably, WTC 1 might have been considered a fluke, not a pattern. Once 9/11 happened, we had a pattern… one that Obama now seems bent on ignoring for political reasons, as we discussed yesterday. Past that, what is there to say?
- OIL FIELDS IN GREENLAND TO COME ONLINE THIS SUMMER: So says Popular Mechanics.  Once that happens, watch the price of crude drop like a stone.
- THE COLD BEATS ON: More headlines from Drudge :
Winter Could Be Worst in 25 Years for USA... 
CHILL MAP... 
3 Deaths Due To Cold in Memphis... 
PAPER: GAS SUPPLIES RUNNING OUT IN UK... 
Elderly burn books for warmth? 
Vermont sets 'all-time record for one snowstorm'... 
Iowa temps 'a solid 30 degrees below normal'... 
Seoul buried in heaviest snowfall in 70 years... 
Historic ice build-up shuts down NJ nuclear power plant... 
Midwest Sees Near-Record Lows, Snow By The Foot... 
Miami shivers from coldest weather in decade... 
I blame Global Warming.