Welcome, one and all, to the most intense nightly read anywhere on the web…. The BitsBlog Nightly Ramble
- BACKTRACKING ALA NAPLITANO:I see Janet Napolitano has spent most of today backtracking, and admitting exactly what I said as an addendum to David’s post of yesterday … that the system did NOT work. The Heretige Foundation gives us a hint of how badly it failed. The Democrats destroying themselves on this stuff would be comical to watch if it wasn’t so tragic in terms of the danger to human life. There’s a problem, however with the calls for Napalitano to get fired. See, her statements of Sunday directly reflect the views of the Obama administration. The Fact is, she was a political appointment, and had nothing in the way of skills to bring to the table for national security. She is performing her political will of whitewashing errors made by the Obama administration. Firing her will not solve the root problem. Of course, then again, the Obama administration has never been noted on actually thinking things through before they are uttered.
- THE LEFTIE DOUBLE STANDARD WRIT LARGE: Jonah Goldberg spells it out, and correctly, in the context of a comparison between Napalitano and John Ashcroft. Says Jonah:
Never mind that many of Ashcroft’s worst alleged sins are now pretty much Obama-Pelosi policies. But the Napolitano-Ashcroft comparison is telling.
Ashcroft was demonized for suggesting that Americans be on the lookout for terrorists. One of Napolitano’s main talking points these days is the need for vigilance from the public. Heck, she claimed the “system worked” because a flying Dutchman took out the “alleged” terrorist.
Ashcroft was demonized because he allegedly was turning America into a police state where political enemies were targeted (remember that’s why Naomi Wolfe had a years-long mental breakdown). Janet Napolitano oversaw a report that singles out American citizens and returning vets as potential terrorists because of their political views.
Ashcroft was mocked as a provincial hick who didn’t know much. Napolitano — who runs our immigration service and was governor of a border state — thinks it’s not a crime to illegally cross the border and insists that the 9/11 hijackers came from Canada.
John Ashcroft was a dangerous ideologue because he believed the war on terror is real. But Janet Napolitano isn’t a dangerous ideologue for believing the war on terror isn’t real?
Exactly so, Jonah. eye point once again to the fact that she is a political appointment, with clear political objectives within the context of what images get sent to the American people about the status of our security both national and personal.
I submit based on that that the political image is being sent are of greater import to this administration that is the actual security of our nation and our people. And I repeat… firing Napolitano won’t solve the problem. the problem rests with the attitude of the administration over our national security. What else can be said about an administration that cares more for the political image being sent, then the actual security, than it needs be rebuked or better, removed and replaced?
- OBAMA SPEAKS…. SORTA:
captures the essence:
This has to be the most perfunctory speech the orator in chief has ever given. It’s as if he resents being pulled away from his vacation to make it. Where’s the energy? The personal connection? It isn’t there. He’s literally reading a press release and it shows. Where is all that charisma we’ve heard so much about? It’s as if the issue doesn’t even interest him at all.
Oh, I don’t know. And when shared interests him. Then again, I’m also quite sure that he would rather you not be interested in it. There’s any number of reasons why that is so, all of them involving the image of the Obama administration.
- MORE ON NWA BOMBING: According to the Washington Examiner the bombing was planned by operatives we freed. Tell me again why we’re freeing these people?
- 25 BEST 2009 VIDS: John Hawkins has the list
- MASSIVE ACCOUNTING BLUNDERS? Mark Hemingway this morning points to some large errors , if errors they be, in the CBO report regarding the senate health care bill. The Democrats have been insisting all along that the thing cuts costs and strengthens Medicare. The reality is far different… The CBO report is decidedly flawed, in that it double counts all the savings. So, once again we find the Democrats relying on an extraordinarily flawed report, and a bill that would sink us financially. Gee, what a surprise.
- HE’S HOW OLD? Seems there’s a governor of a southern India state who resigned after being shown on TV with three women, in bed with him.