Welcome, one and all to the most intense nightly read anywhere on the ‘sphere…The BitsBlog Nightly Ramble
- CASH FOR CLUNKERS WAS A CLINKER: Not that we expected otherwise, but the waste involved with the thing is staggering. The Christian Science Monitor: 
American taxpayers paid a lot of cash for those clunkers: $24,000 for each new car sold, according to a study released Wednesday.That’s a lot of money, especially when the so-called “cash for clunker” stimulus program offered only a maximum $4,500 in cash for each person who traded in an old gas-guzzler and bought a new car.
Damn right… But I suppose I should have seen it coming. Such cost effectiveness is fairly typical for government projects. Including of courses health care. Speaking of that……
- QUEEN NANCY IN ACTION: She unveiled her health care bill today. It’s the biggest one yet, both in terms of cost and in terms of sheer bulk. As frightening as this thing is, it strikes me as quite fitting that it should come out so close to Halloween. According to polo’s either thing will cost us on the order of $894,000,000,000.00 over the next ten years.
Let me be perfectly clear about that point ; Nancy Pelosi is a liar.
You want proof? Look at history. Every government program that is, long including the one that this monstrosity is supposed to be replacing, has gone at least double the original estimates in terms of cost, and has come up well short of the goals it was supposed to achieve, in the doing. it gets better. To finance this monstrosity the Democrats’ plan a surtax on couples and make more than a million dollars a year. The fact of the matter is that such a move will never pay for the program. Once again history is the guide here. Every single time we’ve been told the tax was “on the rich” the added burden for whatever program that the democrats were devising ended up on the shoulders of the middle class. It happens every single time. I’m telling you right now; if they manage to push this thing through, (and the only way they’re going to do this is on a strict party line vote) the resulting Democrat party bloodbath at the 2010 and 2012 polls will make 1980 look like a walk in the park.
- ANOTHER STORY THE WHITE HOUSE WOULD RATHER YOU DIDN’T HEAR: AP says: 
WASHINGTON â€” An early progress report on President Barack Obama’s economic recovery plan overstates by thousands the number of jobs created or saved through the stimulus program, a mistake that White House officials promise will be corrected in future reports.The government’s first accounting of jobs tied to the $787 billion stimulus program claimed more than 30,000 positions paid for with recovery money. But that figure is overstated by least 5,000 jobs, according to an Associated Press review of a sample of stimulus contracts.
A mistake? Yeah. Sure. Right. Even with that mistake the numbers don’t make any fiscal sense in terms of dollars per job. Sorry, they just don’t.
- SETTING THEM UP: Glenn says today: 
IF FOX ISN’T A “LEGITIMATE NEWS OUTLET,” does that mean the Obama Administration will go after them using Campaign Finance laws?  Not until the second term, probably.
I don’t know as I’d put much of anything past this bunch in the White House at this point. What Glenn describes here is pretty much what Ortega’s been doing. And here’s the thing. Any subject , and I mean any subject at all on which the press is critical of Obama and the response from the Democrats is the same…the attempt is made to delegitimize the source of such criticism. And if you think this isn’t all about image, why is the top Obama advisor now in charge of Corzine’s re-election failure? It’s clear, Obama doesn’t want the image of the bloodbath that has every appearance of coming in 6 days time from today.
- WHO IS PULLING OBAMA’S STRINGS? So asks Liz Peek at Fox, today. 
- TODAY IS NATIONAL CAT DAY: Meow. 
- BITSBLOG BUMPER STICKER OF THE DAY: Isn’t really a bumper sticker, but I loved it anyway…