Welcome, one and all to the most intense nightly read anywhere on the sphere… The BitsBlog Nightly Ramble
This is the “Change the oil, rotate the Tires” Edition
- Men are from Mars and Earth Girls are Easy… or something: John Hawkins has an interview up you’ll want to see , with Shaunti Feldhahn, one half of the couple who wrote, “For Men Only: A Straightforward Guide to the Inner Lives of Women” and “For Women Only: What You Need to Know about the Inner Lives of Men.” An interesting read, anyway.
- Unsustainable: If there is any better indication of the unsustainability of Union-dominated industry, than GM auto production moving to China , I can’t imagine what it would be.
- The Spanish Language version of the Hitchcock Thriller “Cinco“: Honorable mention at the OTB Caption Contest 
- We’re only paranoid because…. McQ says it well: 
-CIA releases 40 separate documents that chronicle key Democrats, to include Nancy Pelosi, were aware of the use of EIT, to include waterboarding, for years.
-Democrats claim the CIA is out to get them and that becomes the story.
The comments are priceless.The Democrats have been thoroughly exposed as hypocrites on this stuff. Indeed, if there was any more damning evidence that everything to the Democrat party is political, I don’t know what it might be. I’ve already commented on this several times, of course. But Bruce said such a great line here, I couldn’t resist swiping it. Besides, I figure he deserves a little link love for it.
- From Little Acorns, big fraud grows: I’ll be interested to see the denials being issued over this one from ACORN. God bless Glenn Beck who’s been all over this one:
Our guests went on to explain how these people are basically forced to meet quotas, which led to some of them registering “Mickey Mouse” or other fake names over and over again. When ACORN got caught, these people were thrown to the wolves. They explained that this was the protocol for two reasons: First, even if the form said “Mickey Mouse,” they still got paid. And second, if the person they threw to the wolves was black, they could always pull the race card. That could help them raise money in these communities by saying, “Look at the evil, conservative, white man keeping the black man down.”
But ACORN receives a lot more money than that and most of it is virtually impossible to trace. Because of that, the “ACORN 8” started asking questions and they didn’t like what they found:
(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)
REID: ACORN doesn’t need to be funded with any more taxpayer dollars until we find out what happened to the last taxpayer dollars that ACORN was funded with.
(END VIDEO CLIP)
While we don’t yet know what’s really going on, we do know these ACORN affiliates have powerful friends, like the SEIU â€” the Service Employees International Union. Actually, they’re even more than friends; they’re swapping so much spit they’re riddled with mono.
The head of ACORN, Wade Rathke, is the founder and chief organizer of SEIU, which donated $33 million to President Obama’s campaign last year. We also know that the place the main ACORN affiliate calls home in New Orleans, is supposed to house about 270 related organizations, a mix of corporations and non-profits from California to Louisiana.
Does that former funeral home look big enough to you to house 270 organizations?  The owner of the building is a company whose partners are â€” oh my gosh! â€” Wade and Dale Rathke (name sounds familiar?)
As I told you earlier, Wade also happens to be the president of ACORN and he and his brother Dale â€” who’s accused of embezzling $1 million â€” are listed as president or partner in dozens of companies based in that building in New Orleans.
Of course, we know very well that nothing in New Orleans is ever corrupt, right?
Beck says this is the tip of the iceberg, and that there is something even more major going on here. I think he’s right about that. He also suggests this is not about a party on party thing. I disagree. Unless, of course, somebody can come up with Republicans involved in a ACORN, and the SIEU, and the Tides group. Anyone? Yeah, I didn’t think so. The Democrats, the SIEU, ACORN, and the Tides organization, (the name of which you will possibly remember from John Kerry’s candidacy ) are all wrapped up in this. The President of the United States is involved here too. There’s a lot of funny money going on here, and I think I begin to see why the Democrats are desperately closing down any investigation into campaign funding, and ACORN, that they can.
- Das Cans: Glenn Reynolds mentions his Sennheiser PX-100 headphones he picked up for his IPod use. Glenn’s right, I’ve tried them, they’re pretty good. ‘Course, now, Sennheiser has always have been good with this stuff. Back in the day (Mid 70’s to early 90’s) it was pretty much a toss-up between Sennheisers and a set of Koss Pro-Ones for my broadcast work. (I actually had a set of Koss’s rebranded for Radio Shack… used the same elements and basic design) I tended to prefer the Pro-One’s because they had some heft to them, and they provided better isolation, by way of those fluid filled ear cups. Important when you’re running a mike a couple inches away from them. Sennheiser, though was very good at this stuff even 25-30 years ago… One of my favorite mikes of the day for combo use was a Sennheiser 444 mike. According to the literature of the day, you could shove the thing down the throat of a jet engine, and it wouldn’t overload. It’d melt the case, of course, but that’s another matter. And the 444 loved my voice on AM like few mikes I’d ever used, particularly with am Optimod in the proc chain. Good gosh, what a sound. I almost bought a 444 to take with me to whatever station I worked at. An EV 667 was a close second, but tended to ‘pop’ easier… you had to watch your distance. But as for the cans, it amazes me, the technology involved with this stuff anymore. We’re getting performance out of a set of ‘phones sold for $10, that we’d not have seen in cans costing ten times that much a few decades ago. Like anything else electronic, I guess.
- Gotta Love Ann: She’s a fighter.
Christians are supposed to be fat, balding sweaty little men with bad complexions. It’s liberals who are supposed to be the sexy ones. (I know that from watching “The West Wing” and all movies starring Julia Roberts.)But sadly for liberals, in real life, the fat, balding sweaty little guy with the bad complexion is Perez Hilton and the smoking-hot babe is Carrie Prejean.
LOL…. Of course she oughta know about things like that. I dunno how many times I’ve seen liberals complain that Ann is a guy in drag. On what basis they make that claim is an open question. Of course, these are the same morons who will blindly leap to defend the fat guy in the pink wig, pictured here. Consider the kind of mindset involved, and reasoning behind the attacks on Ann and on Carrie, for that matter, come into sharper focus. And we abdicated the rule of the country to this mentality? What in hell were we thinking?
- Cheerios with Ketchup: Yeah, I know David and I have both commented on the story on the government trying to classify Cheerios and a drug. But I had to slip in a link to this post at The Corner by John Miller who caps us both, I thnk, reminding us of the screaming liberals did with Reagan’s administration trying to suggest ketchup was a vegetable. (Of course it IS all tomato, but never mind that. )
- Childhoods: It’s interesting, Billy , that you and Martin should be discussing such matters. I was just jotting such thoughts down last weekend, for future use. Specifically, I was recalling being down to my Grandmother’s place in farm country, where I essentially had run of the place at a very early age. Around home wasn’t much different. It wasn’t unusual to see me riding my bike 20 and 30 miles away at 12 and 13. I easily identify with the kind of upbringing as you describe it in your piece, along with the adult interactions. You’re right, parents these days tend to get arrested and otherwise harassed for that kind of ‘expectation enforcement’, which I saw a fair amount of myself.. At the same time, though, I had a good deal more freedom, which parents today are also getting arrested for.