I had avoided this story, after having already run one story on the guy that weighed 1000+ lbs a day or so ago…  But I can’t avoid it any longer, given an update to the story this morning…

WFTV reports:

“Gayle Laverne Grinds, 40, died Wednesday, after a failed six-hour effort to dislodge her from the couch in her home. Workers say the home was filthy, and Grinds was too large to get up from the couch to even use the bathroom.
Everyone going inside the home had to wear protective gear. The stench was so powerful they had to blast in fresh air.”

Here’s the money line, for me…

“Neighbors say they had no idea Grinds lived at the duplex.”

So let me get this right; The smell is so bad that everyone has to go in in rubber suits and they had to run fans into the place…and yet nobody in the next apartment can smell this for the last five years? Here’s an apartment complex where I want to live, gang…

Update: Here’s a somewhat more inclusive story, posted to the Palm Beach Post this morning. This one includes what apparently finally triggered the call for help.

Update II: The Palm Beach Post has done some follow up today.